Monday, April 18, 2011

Update 4/18/11

Thought I'd share what's been going on. Thursday I figured out my brake issue to be the rod on the master cylinder was slightly long, and as a result the rod wouldn't fully disengage and would cause a buildup in pressure until the pistons in the caliper wouldn't retract. However, that's fixed.

Had the mini aligned Friday, and the specs were and still are off from where I'd like them. I'm going to have to buy a set of lower adjustable arms to get rid of the positive camber in the front. Right now I'm at .5+ on the left and 1+ on the right. And that's with bottom arms that are supposed to decrease positive camber by 1.5! They can have up to 3+ in the front!

Yesterday, we hooked up the ventilation system so it'll actually pull air from outside. I also raised the right side of the car a hair and tightened up the rear brakes a bit. On thursday, I also found the main hub retaining nut on both rears to be about finger tight, when it's supposed to be 30 ft lb!

Finally, today I'm headed out to seal up more seams and welds, as the floor is leaking quite a bit when driven in the wet. I also think I have finally figured out the year of the car. According to the date stamped on the boot lid latch, wiper motor and carb it's a 91. Much newer than I would've figured! I'll have more pictures up this week...

4 comments:

  1. You would expect it to be much older with how much rot you dealt with removing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'd think it was older, but then again it did see salty winters in Mass., which wouldn't really be the case on the other side of the pond.

    Looks like I'll be headed down to Kentucky this week to put a transmission in a miata (the auto I took out of mine). Also, can't wait for next Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, your rod was too long. What a problem to have...

    ReplyDelete